Thanksgiving Menu 2014: Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free

Thanksgiving 2014 was so exciting for Shane and me, because it was our first time hosting! I was also really excited, because I had studied up on a bunch of gluten-free and dairy-free recipes:

1. Butternut Squash with Red Onion

20141127_185947

I got this recipe from one of the world’s best cooks, Susan Colb. She instructed me to chop up a 4 lb. butternut squash into chunks. You can leave the skin on, but I decided to peel the skin off. I took two enormous red onions and quartered them into chunks, too. I coated everything with olive oil and drizzled the mixture with tahini, lemon juice, and tons of garlic. I cooked for about 35 minutes at 400 degrees until the onions were browning on the edges. This is the best butternut squash I’ve ever had. It’s definitely due to the tahini paste.

2. Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries and Almonds

20141127_185940

I adapted this recipe from my friend Liz Bongiorno. She gave me the idea of adding cranberries, slivered almonds, and lime juice to my brussels sprouts. She puts butter on hers- nom nom nom- but I did lots of olive oil instead, along with ground sea salt and ground black pepper. I had them in the oven at 400 degrees for I don’t know how long. I was distracted by my awesome guests and forgot to set a timer. I just took them out when we were ready to eat. They were definitely overcooked and crispy, and they were so delicious! The lime juice was unexpectedly the best part!

3. Dairy-free Chocolate Mousse

20141127_194436

I found a Paleo chocolate mousse recipe on Radiant Life Blog and then made it up as I went along. I bought the cans of coconut milk at Trader Joe’s. After having them in the fridge for a few days, the coconut cream was too stiff for me to whisk by hand, so my Ninja blender saved the day again. I pulsed the coconut cream, cocoa powder, honey, and vanilla extract together in the Ninja. You end up with a dessert that is really not sweet, but is very filling, rich and satisfying. I topped it with walnuts, mixed berries, Ghirardelli 100% cocoa baking chocolate and another drizzle of honey. It was easy and fun!

I was so excited to provide my guests a healthy, handmade Thanksgiving dinner without destroying my gluten-free, dairy-free regimen! Mission accomplished!

PS Recipes to follow on what to do with all those Thanksgiving leftovers!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments on “Thanksgiving Menu 2014: Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free”

1. Karen November 30, 2014 at 15:15 #

You are too much! I am absolutely thrilled for you and I am also tired, just listening to what you did!!! Happy Holidays to you and my God Son!!

• Marisa LaValette December 1, 2014 at 09:28 #

Hey Karen! What did you and Bill do for Thanksgiving? An amazing cruise or vacation I bet!

• Karen December 1, 2014 at 15:59 #

Bill cooked and I ate…’nuff said! lol…we stayed at home. We have a big 10 day cruise planned with friends in February so we are staying quiet till then…TC!! K & B

2. Katie Lawrence November 30, 2014 at 20:53 #

It tasted even better than it looks! 🙂

Thanks again for such a wonderful thanksgiving! How was your bike ride Friday/your weekend?

• Marisa LaValette December 1, 2014 at 09:28 #

Thanks for everything you brought to Thanksgiving! You brought SO MUCH!

Do you have Instagram? I have pictures on there from my bike ride! We rode all the way up to Fairfax to Gestalthaus. 20 miles each way. We definitely have to take you up there; it’s such a cool cyclists’ hangout!

3. Maria February 7, 2015 at 07:33 #

The brussels sprouts look amazing 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Sunday Pancakes! | SavvyCitiZen - March 15, 2015

[…] substitute! I’ve been using this coconut cream from Trader Joe’s. I also use it to make dairy-free chocolate mousse, like I did for Thanksgiving dessert. I put a crazy-rich slab of Ghirardelli 100% cocoa atop the […]

2. Gluten-Free Thanksgiving 2.0 | SavvyCitiZen - November 23, 2015

[…] derail my nascent healthy-eating efforts. Last year you may have seen my report of my successful gluten free and dairy free Thanksgiving. If you think about it, Thanksgiving is actually a great meal to make gluten-free. It is […]