Slovak Christmas 2012

Just a quick follow-up from last year’s post about Slovak Christmas 2011:

Here are the typical pictures of Slovak Christmas Eve dinner in our family.

My dad (not Slovak) enjoying the sauerkraut mushroom soup appetizer:

2012-12-24 16.29.00

And of course, the potato / cheese pierogies drenched in browned butter, the pork that was slow-cooked all afternoon in sauerkraut in the oven, and Merka’s famous stuffed cabbages (halupkis). Sauerkraut is the theme here; you could clog your arteries with all the butter, but then the sauerkraut helps you break even with all its life-saving properties.

2012-12-24 17.31.27

Then we finished everything off with some Slovak cookies (kolachky)– super-buttery dough filled with apricot preserves and prune jam (lekwar).

1224122144a

There you have it. I could go on and on for hours about Slovak food, but since it’s the same for us every year, you’ve seen it all!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments on “Slovak Christmas 2012”

1. Karen December 24, 2012 at 23:00 #

Yum!!!

• FRANCINE ALOSE June 11, 2013 at 21:38 #

I am a decedent of Slovkians mother and father. Grew up in Linden, NJ. Pierogies/ potato-cheese/sauercraut, halupki, kielbasa…..Mmmmmm

Hey, is BIG STASH still there? Please get back with me. I am growing cucumbers here in TX and want to make them the way my grandmother did…she lived in Elizabeth where I was born and my father in Jersey City. Love Slovakian food, if you could send recipes. All my ancestors have passed away. Descedents, Hudak,Juniak

• Marisa LaValette June 12, 2013 at 17:52 #

Hi Francine! Thank you for visiting my blog!

My grandfather still lives in Linden, and my mom went to Linden High.

Big Stash is STILL THERE on Wood Ave. My last time there was about two years ago. They still do their large party / banquets in the basement!

My godmother makes cucumbers extremely thinly sliced from her own garden in Linden with white vinegar, salt, black pepper, and sugar, but I don’t know the quantities.

I was also born in Elizabeth. We Slovaks have a lot in common!

• Francine Alose June 12, 2013 at 19:23 #

Born in Elizabeth General, 1951

• Francine Alose June 12, 2013 at 19:25 #

Great to hear from you. Linden High School? What year? Both my husband I went there. We have been together since around 65. Married in 69.

Will stay in touch.

Francine

2. FRANCINE ALOSE June 12, 2013 at 20:17 #

WOW! We’ll stay in touch ok?